Monday, August 19, 2013

Peach Butter

I love making homemade jellies and butters. Our local farmers market had a special on peaches, buy one box and get one free. I ended up with about 4 lbs of peaches for $3.



I went to the farmers market to get the peaches because I wanted to make peach butter. I made this years ago, and of course could not find the recipe I originally used. I ended up searching online and found one that sounded good. I saved it to Pinterest for anyone else that wants to try it.

I started by peeling the peaches. The easiest way I've found to do this, is to drop the peaches in boiling water for 30-45 seconds. Then plunge them in ice water. The peels pretty much fall right off. I then pitted and chopped the peaches. I used a big pot and added the peaches, water, and sugar. 



 After about 20 minutes of cooking, I pureed the peaches in my blender. I did this in three batches. Then you put the puree back into the pot and cook for 30-40 minutes until thick. I ended up with 5 - 1 cup servings. You can can this, but I chose just to use the freezer containers. I kept one for myself and gave four away to lucky friends and family.




My favorite way to eat the peach butter is on a toasted English muffin. 



 

1 comment:

Breezy Brie said...

That is an amazing deal for peaches! I just bought two for $1! :) But they are so good - and this sounds amaaaazing!